Brick Mania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark?

4 posters

Go down

[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? Empty [Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Post  Jakester Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:12 am

Hello Brick Mania, just recently I started playing Minecraft again. On the dusk of my first night, I noticed how bright the nighttime was; I could see the entire region with almost full visibility!
  I looked around the MC forums for a mod to make nights darker, but I only found outdated mods or ones that were complicated to my returning MC modder brain. So I rooted around in the game settings, and found that reducing the gamma to -0.5 in the options.txt file makes the game refreshingly dark in areas that should have almost no visibility. (Note that this cannot be done while Minecraft is open)

[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? 28lcqrs
1) Open the .minecraft folder (Google it if you don't know how)
2) Open the options.txt file at the bottom
3) Change gamma: 1.0 (Or whatever numerical value it is at the time) to gamma: -0.5
3a) It should look like this: gamma: -0.5
4) Click File > Save
5) Start up Minecraft and assure that it is working.

It may seem like a minor change, but try it out! Cave diving is slow and suspenseful, you'll never want to be caught outside at night, and it can all be done without any modding; it's fully vanilla! It works in multiplayer as well, if that's what you fancy. If you don't like it, you can change it back instantly by wiggling the brightness setting a bit.

[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? 2ahd4iw

Screenshots: (Coterie Craft Texture Pack, MC 1.7.9)
Comparisons (Taken at slightly different times and angles, unfortunately.

[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? 161ets0
Negative Gamma
[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? Qswqs3
[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? 256vhxl
Negative Gamma
[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? 29b0pyw

General Screenshots
Break of dawn; right before zombies start burning.
[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? 33lhws7
Sunset (First image has some odd tearing, sorry.)
[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? 5meioi [Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? Znx6iu[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? 34oy4ja[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? Kei15k

Getting back to my house after being lost
[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? M0pzn

Ambushed by a skeleton and Witch that I couldn't see in the darkness on my way back, I ran inside before I was killed
[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? 2mfhw1e [Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? 2itfvat

Get used to seeing red eyes peering out from the darkness
[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? 33pbi3m

[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? 2rho8y9

[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? R70n5g

[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? Wqscci

If you want, you can set the gamma even lower for a stupidly dark experience, but I find that -0.5 is perfect for those looking for perfect darkness; experiment!

Unfortunately, this can be the cause some odd lighting glitches in water; I'm not sure if that vanilla or because of the negative gamma.

[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? 6joitj

Tell me if you like it, and show us some screenshots!

Last edited by Jakester on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:07 am; edited 3 times in total
Jakester
Jakester
Moderate Gamer
Moderate Gamer

Back to top Go down

[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? Empty Re: [Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Post  Mega Bear Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:07 am

Jeez, that really is dark. I already have enough trouble with nighttime in Minecraft as is, I doubt I could handle that lol.
Mega Bear
Mega Bear
PC Gamer
PC Gamer

Back to top Go down

[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? Empty Re: [Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Post  Jakester Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:05 am

Yeah it gets crazy dark if you're caught outside at night time. One time I was trying to bring two chickens across a large desert and night fell, it was pretty ridiculous! It's pretty cool though when you have the Dynamic Lights mod and you're trying to find your way home with nothing but a torch to light up about 7 blocks around you Razz
Jakester
Jakester
Moderate Gamer
Moderate Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post  Gothboy77 Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Stickied and Brick'd

Thanks
Gothboy77
Gothboy77
Chillin'
Chillin'

http://BrickMania.FindTalk.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakester Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:03 am

Thanks Goth, I'm glad you liked it!
Jakester
Jakester
Moderate Gamer
Moderate Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post  dafrandle Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:36 am

[Guide] Are You Afraid of the Dark? Tumblr_static___sticker_375x360

i wanted to post this picture

this topic seemed fitting
dafrandle
dafrandle
Master Gamer
Master Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakester Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:18 pm

Basically sums up the entire post right there.
Jakester
Jakester
Moderate Gamer
Moderate Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down